Monday, May 16, 2022

An Investigation of the Headwaters of the Gila

 

Those who know me may know of my fascination with the Gila River, which begins in New Mexico and descends into Arizona and flows (when there's water in it) all the way to the Colorado River in Yuma, AZ.  Over the last couple years I have tracked it down in various locations along its path but I had never before made it to its headwaters, which are in a pretty remote part of the Gila Wilderness (which is already a little bit remote).  Well, on this return trip to Denver I planned to rectify that oversight with a thorough exploration of the upper watershed of this great and storied drainage.  And all this occurs contiguous with the Continental Divide, with which I am also enamored.  So this segment of my trip was a double-whammy for me.  See the pics and read the comments here for the full story.  Next up: Return to the Rio Grande Valley and new explorations north of the Valle Caldera region.